Thursday, March 19, 2015

Tips and Tricks

Any kind of pet can be expensive, that includes a bunny! I mean, if you are providing everything the bunny NEEDS that includes: hay, pellets, veggies, a cage, a water bowl, and a litter box. That's not even counting all the fun toys, special treats, maybe even a leash and harness that you want to get to spoil the little bun bun! So I thought I would make a list of tips and tricks to save you money and stress, because who doesn't love to save money and avoiding stress.

TIPS:

1. DO NOT BUY BEDDING
This is a number one mistake made. I mean, if you have the money and don't mind spending it go ahead and drop 20 to 40 dollars a month on bedding, but you can easily buy two cheap towels and lay one down in the liter box. It soaks up the pee and the smell and the bunnies love it. When it gets dirty throw it in the wash! HOORAY! One time buy that keeps giving!

2. DO NOT BUY HAY AT PET STORE
Ok, so right now I am buying hay at the pet store because I am a college student living in an apartment and only have room for the little bags of hay......but these are COSTLY! If you have the space to store hay go to a farming store such as Tractor Supply! You can buy a huge bale of hay for around 5 to 10 dollars and it will last you MONTHS.

3. DO NOT BUY TOYS
Again, I am guilty of doing this! It's ok to go buy your bunny a toy or two, but trust me when I say my bunnies like my homemade toys WAY better. You can easily give them a plain toilet paper roll or make cool toys out of them. Also consider weaving a little mat out of paper grocery bags or you can even get some boxes and cut holes in them! Just do some investigating on DIY bunny toys on pinterest or google because there are plenty! In the end you recycle and make your bunny happy! YAY two birds with one stone!

TRICKS:

1. SMELLY PEE
This can be easily prevented! You have two options you can try. First, you can try putting a TEENY bit of apple cider vinegar in the water bottle/bowl. Also, I have heard that if you feed your bunny mint leaves regularly that it neutralizes the smell as well. I would try the mint leaves first because bunnies LOVE herbs.

2. TREATS
As I stated above, bunnies love herbs and these are way healthier treats for them then the processed treats you buy at the pet store. To save bunny buy a flower pot or two and buy some fun herbs! I just bought a sapling of basil at my local grocery store and replanted it in a pot. I also bought some wheat grass and planted it in a pot. They continue to grow and so you have a constant supply of yummy, organic treats.

3. BATHING
Do not, I REPEAT, do not ever bathe your bunny. Usually bunnies are very cleanly animals and should rarely if ever need help getting cleaned up (With the exception of 4H bunnies.) Bathing a bunny can be very stressful for them and if you have done your research like you should have before getting a pet bunny you should know stress is NOT healthy for a bunny. However, if you do feel you need to clean your bunny or assist it baby wipes will do the trick and they are safe for the bunny.






1 comment:

  1. Also, if you bathe them and dont dry them well then their fur gets matted and keeps heat in so they over heat. This can kill them in the summer.

    Tip for keeping them cool in summer: Fill a 2 liter or water bottle almost full of water then freeze overnight. Give to your bunny the next day and it acts as a mini ac unit :) my rabbits loved laying next to them and licking them!

    ReplyDelete