Friday, March 20, 2015

Treating Depression and Anxiety with a Bunny

Ok, so before I begin, here is my disclaimer.....
I AM NOT A DOCTOR. Every patient is different and depression and anxiety are serious matters. So you should always consult with your physician!

Fewf, now that I have THAT off my chest, here is my secret weapon against my Depression and Anxiety: A Bunny. I was first diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety in May 2014, although it was thought (and my personal opinion) that I had been struggling since January 2010. I just never had the guts to talk to anyone about it and certainly avoided the topic with my doctors until it got too bad. Depression is a difficult disease and really, really started affecting my life in 2014. I was drained and unhappy with almost everything and everyone around me. It was in the fall that I started researching about getting myself a pet.

TWO WORDS: Companion Pet

Not widely recognized,it's one of the many ways people treat depression and anxiety in, what doctors call, an "alternative way". I HIGHLY recommend a companion pet to anyone who would consider it. I especially think  this is an excellent option for those who are struggling in their early twenties (Although my parents would disagree.) If you are a responsible person and willing to do the research and put in the proper amount of time needed to take care of and spend time with the animal then you are CERTAINLY an excellent subject for the treatment.

If you are a college student I know one of the biggest concerns is the living situation. Most apartments and houses you can rent wont allow pets. Do not despair! All you have to do is talk to your doctor that you see for depression and anxiety. They can write a prescription for your pet! You heard me correct! The doctor can write a prescription for an animal just like he writes a prescription for other medications! Once you have obtained this you'll want to make copies and give one to your leasing office and ask if there is other information they will need. For instance, my lease office asked for a report from the vet stating that my rabbit is in good health. Once you have turned this in you can legally have your pet whether they allow pets or not!

When your researching companion pets its typical for people to get a dog or a cat. These are excellent options. However, it is my own personal opinion that they aren't the BEST option for those of us who are in college. Dogs are A LOT of money and need lots of exercise outside of the house. They will also need to be let out to go potty multiple times a day. As for cats, if you don't have the money to declaw they could really tear up and ruin furniture and if their pee gets on anything but the liter box its almost impossible to get rid of.

The bunny was my best option and maybe yours too! Bunnies can be costly, but I made a whole blog post with tips and tricks to save you stress and money! Bunnies can also be liter trained like a cat; so no need to worry about potty issues! They are small and portable if you need to go home for spring break or something. Best of all, they are completely calming.

I have some hard days still no matter how regular I am with my medication or my dedication to seeing my counselor. On those days I lay down and simply enjoy the presence of my bunnies. I may just watch them roam around and eat, or they might come and lay on my lap for some heavenly bunny pets. Either way it's one of the best medicines. I can literally feel my blood pressure lowering.

Caring for my two bunnies does take some time and generally I am not a huge fan of cleaning; but for my bunnies I love it. I clean the cage and liter box nearly every two days. This routine on top of  the simple routine of feeding them and giving them water helps start my day off right. Having the bunnies has also given me something to really live for. Which I feel is the number one thing every person with depression needs in order to fight the disease.

Before buying a bunny as a companion pet please do your research and talk to your doctor. Bunnies need lots of inside exercise time and lots of love. In fact, I usually let my bunnies "free roam" my room like a dog or cat would since they are potty trained. Also, it's my personal opinion that you should never buy a bunny cage at a pet store. Either build a cage with Xpen parts or buy a Large or Extra Large dog crate. The dog crate is the best option in my opinion because its large for the bunny and easily folds down for travel. DO NOT buy a bunny if it's going to spend the rest of it's life in a cage.

Last but not least: There are plenty of bunnies who are depressed and anxious just like you and need to be adopted! Check in with your local humane society or search on PetFinder.com.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me :)


This is me and my babes Rufus :) Don't forget to follow us on Instagram @Onceupona_Whisker !!
Displaying photo.JPG



1 comment:

  1. Hi my name is Jewel and I have really bad Anxiety aso well as Panic Attacks my bunny Chuck "Mug" of 5 years helps me more than anyone will ever know...I have tried registering him as a therapy pet but get no response...I do not have a family Dr...I am trying to get a family Dr...it is 1:59 AM my Time and just wanted to day thank you for your helpful knowledge.

    ReplyDelete