Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Bonding Bunnies - What Pair

I think most people would agree that watching bonded rabbits together is a beautiful thing. Bunnies are naturally social animals. As I've stated in a past blog post, bunnies need as much attention from their owner as a dog or a cat might. However, it seems in most cases that humans cannot provide the complete needs when it comes to the bunny's social life. Once your bunny is bonded you will see how amazing it is. The bunnies will play together, sleep together, groom each other, even get pets from you side by side.

Taking care of two bunnies isn't necessarily that much different than taking care of one. Once they are bonded they will share the same food bowl, water bowl, liter box, etc.Note: It's important to realize you will have to have two cages until the bunnies are bonded. YOU CAN NEVER throw two bunnies into the same cage without introduction. How would you feel if you were in your bedroom and some stranger walked in and sat down? You would be afraid and probably a little pissed.  However, I will say its a little more effort to take care of the bunnies.Because there are two bunnies you''ll have twice the mess. I clean the litter box at least once every three days. This isn't too terrible though, especially if you take my advice and use towels as bedding instead of $20 bags at the pet store. You can just shake out the mess outside (which is biodegradability and GREAT fertilizer) and stick it in the wash! Vwalla! Saving money and saving the environment.


The Dream Pair

So, here's the thing. I am going to tell you how it USUALLY goes down, but then you can decide for yourself because it's my belief that you can bond any two bunnies. It just might take months and I'm not sure if it's worth it to you to put that much time in.

BUCK and DOE

This is the easiest pair. This is most often the pair that has something called "love at first sight". The bunnies will get along immediately and there is little to no effort on your part.

BUCK and BUCK

This is your second best option. A bit harder than bonding a BUCK and DOE (usually) I think its worth it and my favorite pair. BUCKS tend to be more cuddly, outgoing, and friendly. So, having two is just one big cuddle and pet fest.

DOE and DOE

Ok so like I said above I do believe you can bond any two rabbits together. However, if there is a pair that would take you months to bond, it would 99% be two DOES. DOES tend to be a little more aggressive then males. They are stubborn and territorial and this could cause major issues when trying to bond one DOE to another. If you chose this route, best of luck and Id love to hear your success story so shoot me a message!

ADULT and ADULT

This tends to be the easiest pair. Adults get along with adults better.

BABY and BABY

This also tends to be an easy pair. Babies naturally tend to gravitate towards other rabbits. Because they are babies they depend on others for emotional support and comfort. Babies also like to huddle with their litter mates for warmth when sleeping. It's important to realize you MIGHT need to separate them once they get closer to being teenagers. You could end up with a litter of more babies if you have a buck and a doe. They can also end up fighting because their hormones kick in. So, you''ll want to get both babies neutered ASAP.

ADULT and BABY

I was told that this is the most difficult pair to bond. Of course, I ended up getting my baby, pascal, and wanted to bond him to Rufus. They practically fell in love. I kept them in separate cages facing each other for a good four days and Rufus did grunt a bit and try to scratch the baby's cage when he was having play time. However, I chose to carefully introduce them because Rufus and the baby seemed interested in seeing each other and BOOM it happened. I would say most Adults will not bond with a baby. I, myself, was planning on waiting months before I introduced my two together. If you want to attempt this please contact me for more details. I will totally support you, just know that you might have to wait until the baby is an adult to introduce.

WHAT BREEDS TO BOND

Good news: any breed will do! You can even bond a Dwarf with a Flemish giant. A bunny is a bunny. It's the personalities of the two bunnies that makes or breaks the bonding.



BELOW
These are my two bun buns as of March 23, 2015. The Grey (chinchilla) mini lop in the hoodie is my babes Rufus. And the brown (tort) Holland lop baby is my 8 week old Pascal :)
Displaying photo.JPG



No comments:

Post a Comment